Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Real resolutions await

It was John Lennon who said “And so this is Christmas, and what have we done.  Another year over, and a new one just begun.”  This week marks that week where we flip over, shaking off last year’s excesses and unwrapping those new blank calendars. 

The most common thing to do around New Year’s—besides one last night of indulgence—is to make a resolution.  Sometimes resolutions are made lightly; lose 10 pounds! Others are made with all seriousness.  Either way, many times in this week leading up to New Year’s when I evaluate the resolution I made the previous year, I can hardly remember it, let alone declare it conquered. 

I find Lennon’s sentiments to define how I usually feel at this time of year.  Another year has passed.  How have I spent it?  What did I do?  For me it’s a natural time to look inward and ask myself some probing questions about my life, my health, my state of mind, my ambitions or whatever it is that feels like it could be better in my life. 

I’ve been to New Year’s Day parties where resolutions are talked about as if we’re discussing what to have for dinner that night.  Sometimes that’s fun.  Sometimes it’s nice to breezily say that I plan on joining a gym, or writing the next great American novel.  But New Year’s Resolutions don’t have to be empty promises.  Last year I made a resolution and not only did I keep it, but as I pursued it the goal evolved into three separate avenues that very quietly and slowly made me more fulfilled at the end of every day.  One affected my health, one affected my creativity and one challenged me to learn a new skill.  I had no idea that making that one off-hand resolution would evolve over the course of the year into something that would add richness and pride to my life. 

Now that I’ve experienced the thrill of achieving one of those lofty New Year’s Day promises, I find that I am eagerly looking forward to this years’ and wondering where it might take me over the course of the year.  I also feel like I owe it to myself to make another reachable resolution that I might actually keep and not one that I know to be vaguely vacant of any true motivation.

I recently came across an article entitled “12 Things Happy People Do Differently” on the website marcandangel.com.  I was already swirling ideas around for this column about the merits of New Year’s Resolutions and I was pleased to see that number 10 on their list was “Commit to your goals.”  If that’s not a reason to stick to a resolution, then I don’t know what is.  Science has proven that people who make a resolution, or goal, and stick to it are happier people!  On the flip side I believe they are telling us that if we put something down in our minds as a goal and don’t stick to it, we will feel defeated with ourselves.  The trick there is to fully believe that you can still accomplish those resolutions, no matter the challenges.  The websites corresponding point is number two, “cultivate optimism;” people who see challenges positively will find an opportunity in every bump in the road.

The official “holiday season” ends on New Year’s Day, but I find myself feeling ready for that much anticipated time of year to be over on the day after Christmas.  We’ve all indulged.  Gifts have been exchanged, family has spent time together and the tree is starting to shed its needles all over the living room floor.  As I take down my Christmas decorations and put my house back into a more natural state of being, I feel like I too am tidying myself up from a holiday season of indulgence.  The tree gets dragged out the door, needles falling behind and like it, so does last year’s problems and challenges.  A whole new year awaits; new resolutions to make and goals to achieve.


Previously published in "The Star," Grand Coulee, Washington. December 28, 2011





1 comment:

  1. right on! I love this one. Especially about sticking to a goal = happiness. Makes me really want to do it. I always have too many resolutions- this is inspiring me to streamline. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete